Self-Ligating Braces – The Damon™ System
This type of brace uses a clip or door to hold the wire onto the brackets and eliminates the need for plaque collecting colored O’s. Each manufacturer offers a style of self-ligating brace but not all are created equal. After 3 years of testing many self- ligating brackets Dr. Mac has concluded the use of Damon System brackets meet the criteria for a patient-friendly brace system which will produce beautiful smiles.
We are pleased to offer our patients Damon™ System braces. Damon braces allow your teeth to move more comfortably and easily than traditional braces. Thanks to these innovative new braces, achieving your perfect smile will be faster and easier than you ever thought possible.
Damon System Advantages
- Greater patient comfort- no tightening
- Faster treatment times
- Fewer appointments
- Freedom from expanders, headgear and other appliances
- Less need for extractions and surgery
- Extraordinary results to last a lifetime
Several years ago, braces meant one thing: a mouthful of wires and elastic as well as discomfort whenever it was time for an adjustment. Treatments also often included pulling teeth and using expanders to widen the palate. Today, a variety of orthodontic options are available — including the Damon System.
Damon braces differ from traditional braces in three key ways
1. Instead of using elastics, the brackets on Damon braces are a passive self-litigating system. The wires are held in place by a sliding mechanism. This allows for more freedom of movement and eliminates the need for tightening by the orthodontist, which most patients dread.
2. The wires used in Damon braces are lighter than traditional wires, only 0.014 inches in width, and use unique shape-memory technology. They are composed of a copper, nickel and titanium alloy. As the teeth gradually glide into place, successively thicker wires made of stainless steel or TMA alloy are used. This means that the teeth are able to move faster and fewer adjustments will be necessary.
3. Most patients who choose the Damon System will not require a palate expander or tooth removal. The system allows for a new approach to orthodontics and treatment. Because the shape of the palate doesn’t need to be altered, the smiles created with Damon braces have a more natural and aesthetically pleasing shape.
Besides removing the unpleasant tightening experience, eliminating the elastics also produces a more attractive final result. With traditional braces, elastics tend to be a gathering place for plaque. Even with careful hygiene, this can result in the erosion of the enamel around the bracket, which can mean permanent marks on the teeth when the brackets come off. Damon brackets are easier to keep clean, resulting in less hassle for patients. Additionally, fewer orthodontist visits are necessary.
The brackets are attached to the teeth with a laser-etched pad. This patented method of bonding provides more opportunities for customization and creates a strong and reliable bond.
The Damon System is appropriate for both kids and adults. More and more adults are choosing orthodontia to improve their appearance. Clear Damon brackets are available for people who are concerned about presenting a professional image to the world. The material used is resistant to staining caused by foods like coffee, wine and mustard.